ANTi has been Rihanna’s most successful album to date, and we’ve also watched as her sense of style evolved over the past year with her new sound. We’ve seen bad gyal RiRi take daring risks not only with her clothing, but also her hairstyles, each time walking red carpets, stepping out on the streets looking like the supreme queen of fierceness.
ANTi debuted a different type of music from Rihanna, and with it came a style revamp that catapulted her even further as a fashion icon. But for us, it was her braided hairstyles that stood out to us. While pop culture and fashion now has a new found appreciation and obsession with braided dos, the trending styles aren’t anything new to us. Every little girl born or raised in the Caribbean has had her hair braided in a multitude of styles, and can definitely testify to its versatility.
Check out our five favourite braided hairstyles from everyone’s favorite island girl pop princess.
1. Rihanna’s Box Braids for her cover and fashion spread in i-D Magazine Spring 2015 Music Issue spread was dubbed ‘The Felecia’ as it was reminiscent of the cooky character from the cult classic movie ‘Friday’
2. RiRi’s Box Braids are converted for Bantu Knots for the i-D Magazine Spring 2015 Music Issue.
3. The ANTi tour promo pictures saw our fav once again rocking Box Braids with a twist.
4. Style experts went nuts with admiration after seeing the Bajan superstar rocking Faux Locs in London in late 2016. She had previously done the style before, but never so thick or long.
5. Art imitates life – a young unknown Rihanna rocking cornrow braids, showing that she has always been a trendsettah.